Sat, 16 Mar|
Athletics Auckland GO! Series
3 events providing opportunities for youth (5-14) athletes to participate in inter-club athletics competition.
Time & Location
16 Mar 2024, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Auckland, Mount Smart Stadium (51 O’Rorke Road, Penrose)
About the Event
Help our club to be crowned GO! Series Champions!
The GO! Series is a new teams-based athletics initiative launched by Athletics Auckland to provide opportunities for youth (5-14) athletes to participate in inter-club athletics competition. Club versus club to determine who will win the inaugural GO! Series trophy for 2024.
The series consists of 3 events. All held at Mount Smart Stadium (51 O’Rorke Road, Penrose) from 9am-12pm (5 and 6s 9am to about 10.15am, 7 and over from about 10am) on the following days.
GO! Day 1 - Saturday 3rd February 2024 - entries close Wednesday 31 Jan
GO! Day 2 - Saturday 2nd March 2024
GO! Day 3 - Saturday 16th March 2024 - note that this is the same date as our club champs event
How does the GO! Series work?
Athletes will earn points by doing what they enjoy most. Running, jumping and throwing within defined point scoring zones. All points will go towards the athlete’s club. These points will accumulate per athlete per event and be ranked for
GO! Series DAY points and
GO! Series points
Sounds like great fun right! But wait, there is more:
- A DJ to keep the stadium rocking as the athletes do their thing,
- Food and coffee vendors on-site. The GO! Team knows how important that Saturday morning coffee is,
- The ability for you to get nice and close to the action as a GO! Series volunteer, and
- Each athlete who registers for the full series (3 events) will receive their very own GO! Series medal at the 3rd event
$30 per athlete for the series
$10 per day individually
1. Why the GO! Series? The GO! Team knows how much our young athletes love doing athletics and love being part of a team, so we combined the two and the GO! Series was born. Athletes and their friends doing athletics together and earning points for their club team to count towards the GO! Series Trophy while having lots of fun and enjoying themselves. What could be better than that?
2. Why does the GO! Series use points for events? Using point scoring zones allows us to remove the downtime associated with measuring. This means less waiting and more running, jumping and throwing at a GO! Day for all athletes.
3. How will GO! Days work?
A programme of events will run throughout the GO! Morning with 20 to 25 minute blocks (depending on the numbers in each age group and the number of volunteers available) of activity time. For example: 5 Boys 9am – Radar gun challenge. How fast can you run for the speed radar gun 9.20am – How many points can you score at long jump 9.40am – Target points throws. The more runs, jumps and throws that the athlete does, the more points they score for their club and the more these will count towards the GO! Series Trophy. Other events, depending on age group, are likely to include the water run, javelin throw and high jump. The GO! Team will add more events over the course of the series.
4. Will I know what the GO! Day programme will be? Yes, the GO! Team will circulate these via email and our Facebook page prior to each GO! Day.
5. Will the programme change for each GO! Day? Yes, the GO! Team is busily working away at GO! Team headquarters to create a range of programmes to keep the athletes engaged on each GO! Day and over the full GO! Series.
6. Can I as a parent/caregiver/older sibling be involved with the GO! Series? Yes, the GO! Team welcomes anyone that would like to volunteer to assist. The series will rely on volunteers to run each GO! Day and you can help by joining the GO! Team or volunteer to assist on each GO! Day. As a GO! Team volunteer, you are not only a member of the coolest team in Junior athletics in Auckland, but if you volunteer for all the GO! Series events (3 events) over the summer period (remembering your kids will be here anyway), you also receive:
A. Your very own GO! Team shirt in any colour you want, as long as it is fluorescent yellow, to help you be outstanding in the field, and on the track as well.
B. A name tag of your own because, like the Cheers TV program, this will be a place where everyone knows your name.
C. A much-coveted GO! Series volunteer medal as a reminder of all the fun you have experienced as part of the GO! Team.
But wait, there is more. Not only do you get the above, but you also get a free car park to call your own (for as long as you are parked there at least anyway) and you will be closer to the action than anybody else. How cool is that?! Just enter your details when you are entering your athlete and the GO! Team will be in touch.
7. Can my athlete choose what they do on a GO! Day? Yes, they can do as much or as little as they are comfortable doing. The GO! Team is aiming to put on a highly enjoyable experience for all those involved, athlete and volunteer alike, and athlete choice is a big part of that experience.
Help our club be crowned GO! Series Champions... enter here!
Stay up to date with information via Facebook... GO! Series